FRIENDS OF THE POOR WALK
Friends of the Poor Walk/Run is a National Program with the purpose of providing local SVdP conferences and councils the framework to host an event that raises funds to support their special works projects. This year marks the 11th Year of the Walk. Some of our councils will be holding the walk locally this year. Funds are generated when people pledge to support the Society based on walkers who participate. The Society depends on its Vincentians to promote the program in our parishes and among their friends. Participants are welcome to run, walk or cheer on those who give this visible symbol of their support of programs to benefit the needy. All money generated is used locally in SVDP programs.
Local FRIENDS OF THE POOR® Walks
MILWAUKEE: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 9:00AM St. Alphonsus Parish and Scout Lake Park – 6060 W. Loomis Rd., Greendale
(Registration begins at 8:00 AM) Admission – $25 Adults, $10 Child (ages 5-17).
On-line registration: www.svdpmilw.org
SHEBOYGAN: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 9:45AM
Sheboygan South High School Commons & Track – 3128 S. 12 St., Sheboygan (Registration begins at 9:00AM) 5K Walk/Run
Admission – Adults $15, Children (under 12) $5.00, Families $30, Teams $50
Contact: Dennis Van Hoof (920)457-4844 ext. 102
WAUKESHA: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 11:00AM
St. William Church —440 N. Moreland Blvd., Waukesha
(Registration begins at 9AM) 10:30AM Mass 11AM Walk
No charge for participating but all are asked to obtain sponsors.
More About St. Vincent de Paul
- The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is one of the oldest and most effective charitable organizations in the world. It was founded in Paris, France in 1833. The United States Society of St. Vincent de Paul was founded in 1845, in St. Louis, Mo.
- Began in 2008 to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVdP)
- Monies raised are applied to a wide range of assistance to the needy and those living in poverty, including: housing assistance, disaster relief, job training and placement, food pantries and dining halls, clothing, transportation and utility costs, care for the elderly and medicine.
- All proceeds directly benefit people in the communities where the money is raised.
- Each community’s walk is organized and run by its own SVdP Conference or Council.
- The FOP Walks last year were held at over 250 locations around the country, attracted more than 25,000 participants, and raised more than $3.1 million.
- Walkers are encouraged to make a personal monetary donation and collect pledges from supporters.
- Promote the Walk by putting the Walk Poster on your parish bulletin board.
If you are looking to be a part of the St. Vincent dePaul experience in Fond du Lac, we welcome you to visit our thrift store located at: